It seems like black is the new black when it comes to health and beauty trends! From purifying charcoal masks to teeth-whitening toothpaste, activated charcoal has become a trending health and beauty ingredient. But what makes it so special and how can we harness its unique benefits?
Unlike regular charcoal used at a braai, activated charcoal has a range of detoxing properties and health benefits. This wonder ingredient is formed when ordinary charcoal is heated to very high temperatures in the presence of air. This produces a highly porous powdery material with a large surface area that attracts dirt and toxins like a magnet. This helps to remove the dirt and toxins from the body.
Activated charcoal used in health and beauty
- Teeth Whitening Nowadays you can find many kinds of toothpaste that include charcoal for whitening. This is because the charcoal latches on to particles that cause stains on teeth and gently removes them.
- Hangover Cure Taking an activated charcoal supplement before drinking alcohol can help to lessen the after-effects. The charcoal helps your body to process the toxins better – meaning you may wake up with a clearer head.
- Digestive Health Many people choose to take an activated charcoal supplement daily or weekly to help cleanse and detox their digestive tract – removing any toxins that could cause potential health problems.
- Poison Treatment Thanks to its sponge-like detoxing properties, activated charcoal is often used in emergencies when someone has ingested poisonous substances like bleach or pesticides to help absorb toxins from the body.
- Acne and pimple care Activated charcoal helps to absorb oil from the skin which can improve the skin’s balance and help to reduce acne and pimples.
- Healing wounds & bites Charcoal creates an ideal healing environment for minor wounds and bites by absorbing bacteria and toxins to reduce inflammation and prevent infection.
- Skin Detox Charcoal acts as a magnet, attracting dirt and oil that block the pores. Using a soap that includes charcoal, for example, Lifebuoy’s new Activated Charcoal & Mint can help to deep cleanse your skin, leaving it feeling oil-free and deeply cleansed.
- Purifying Water People have been using activated charcoal as a natural water filter for years. Placing charcoal tabs in drinking water can help to filter out any unwanted chemicals or toxins making the water healthier to drink.
Try some of these beauty hacks using charcoal soap brought to you by Lifebuoy:
Using a fine grater, grate an activated charcoal bar into little particles, add some coarse salt to the mix and dissolve in water for an awesome foot soak that will draw impurities out, while refreshing and softening your skin.
Clean make-up brushes
Make-up brushes contain oils from make-up and other impurities when it comes into contact with skin. Immerse your dirty makeup brushes in a soap and water solution including a charcoal soap bar. Dirt and oil will be stripped from the brushes after leaving them for a few minutes. Rinse and enjoy!
Wet an activated charcoal bar slightly, rub your eyebrow brush along the surface of the bar so it scoops up some lather. Gently brush your eyebrows in an upward direction. Repeat as required. Allow to dry for sleek tamed eyebrows.